Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Field Trips 1&2

I personally have a difficult time with matters relating to religion, so I was concerned about raising questions during the trips. I think it was more helpful for me to listen to the other questions that were posed by other students and hear the nuns and seminarians response. I thought it was nice that a lot of people call and e-mail the sisters for guidance and prayer during difficult times. When I think of nuns or women involved in religious life, I kind of place them in a different category than everyone else: in a good and bad way. They're in a different category in a good way such that they have a vastly different purpose and mission in life than someone like me does. Similarly, I place them in a different category in a bad way because I feel as if they are missing out on so much in life such as marriage, children, etc. But then again, maybe they look at someone like me and imagine that by not devoting my life to God, that I am missing out on so much. I guess it could go either way. Nonetheless, it was certainly an interesting and eye-opening experience for me.

Visiting the seminary was probably my favorite thing that we've done so far. The seminary was beautiful and breathtaking. I was interested to learn that it is more like a college. I was under the impression that is was solely based around religious studies and becoming ordained. I had no idea it was sort of like a huge religious fraternity. Everyone was very welcoming and nice, and I think that was also helpful with my reservations about religion. My favorite part was when we all sat in the classroom and students asked questions. I particulary enjoyed when one of the girls in our class asked one of the Deacon's how he handles people's questions of faith due to the evil and sadness in the world. His response was that God allows us to make free choices, and that "darkness is simply the absence of light." I was really moved by that quote, because that particular question kind of sums up my personal struggles with religion. I really enjoyed this trip the most.

1 comment:

Dr. Spinner said...

A solid blog.

I respect your willingness to let others ask questions--though I encourage you to find a way to voice your own! Perhaps it will be easier when you're not in a group setting.

Dr. S.