Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Amish Reporting Trip!

I think in any circumstance in which a writer can not be informed about a certain person, group, situation, etc. it's very difficult to obtain a legitimate story. While a writer may have strong interviewing skills, it is irrelevant because ultimately that person knows you are writing a story and can choose which information they want to use to portray themselves. Obtaining a story alone creates a bias because of that reason. Regarding the Amish or Mennonites, that's just a whole other story. There's close to no real and valid information to be found about them anywhere. Yes there are some published pieces and some websites scattered here and there, but it's not like going onto the internet or a library and looking up George Washington. And it's like that for a reason. Both the Amish and Mennonite communites are contained and controlled, and they want to keep it that way. That is the specific problem with reporting on them. I still have no clue what I am going to write about for this piece and I think it has a lot to do with the issue of people choosing what information will portray them. Those men at the Mennonite school who were all dressed EXACTLY the same completely dodged all of our questions. And even though that one man said a little and glossed over people's questions, he still managed to throw in backhanded comments such as, "Well, there's so much a woman can learn in the kitchen too..." !!!WHAT!!! But anyway, there are probably so many aspects about the Amish or Mennonite community that nobody knows about besides the people that reside within the community. How would we know or not? We wouldn't...

I know there is no way, but I wish I could tell a really genuine story about the Amish. I'm not trying to be picky, but the Mennonites seemed very unwelcoming and the Amish made me really happy. I wish I would be able to be so enveloped in their lives and culture that I could find out something that no one knows. It doesn't even have to be some huge, ridiculous secret - just something that can give us outsiders more of an understanding and view into their lives. I think that would be great, because again, there's only so much they're telling us. I'm not trying to make them sound secretive and anti-social, but if I were to be interviewed about my life there are certain things I would leave out if I knew it was going to be written up. And I think that's what most people would do, if you can control your image you will.

I think in order to tell a story such as that I would have to be completely immersed in their community. I think it would have to go as far as me becoming a member of their society. I can't imagine any other way to have them trust me and allow me into their lives. I believe that would give me a fair stance in telling the story because I have a taste of both worlds, theirs and mine. I would finally understand the underlying values, traditions, practice and unwritten rules in their society/culture. That would benefit me most if I were to write something about them. Knowing the little things, like something that is disrespectful to them but wouldn't mean a thing to me.

Well, the advantages of using a fixer is that it serves as a very helpful medium between both worlds. I feel like we probably gained access to certain things in the community that we wouldn't have if a fixer wasn't there. I don't really think there are any disadvantages to having a fixer at all actually. But, our fixer was a tad irritating. Maybe it was the long day...

I think if the Amish or Mennonites viewed me in my space they would be uncomfortable. I'm not crazy or anything, but I feel like they are very set in their beliefs and values and would possibly look down on my lifestyle. They would certainly find things that are important to me in my room which may or may not speak loudly of me. I think it's a little difficult to report a story accurately because there is always some level of bias, especially in a situation in which you are not familiar or maybe feel a little out of place.

Finally, I absolutely loved this trip. Although it was a long day, it's something I'll remember for the rest of my life. That may sound dramatic but I thought it was great, it was so different there. There was a real sense of peace and happiness among everyone. Also, it was the only place I've been to in my life where I really felt like God was there. It was a very humbling experience.

1 comment:

Anna Dee Olson, Author said...

I truly understand your frustration because that is what people tell me all the time.

My website if very new and I don't have as much written as I would have liked to but have you seen it?

www.GrowingUpAmish.com

I grew up in the Old Order Amish, have now written my first book and I am in the process of writing my second book.

There are many secrets that you can never know unless you have lived that lifestyle. Guaranteed....

If you have questions, email me through my website.