Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Invisible Reporter

I really enjoyed this Q&A piece, I thought it was great. It really helped me to get a better sense of how to approach the different aspects of journalism such as gaining trust, interviewing and even the reporting itself. From Hull's piece I got the impression that whatever you are reporting on, to tackle it head on, and just "report the heck out of something." I had trouble with my last piece - too boring, so I enjoyed her enthusiasm and advice.
I think this piece will also prove to be very helpful for our class trip to Lancaster county next week. It was actually really reassuring that sometimes, you can't know everything about a certain culture or a place. I've been to Lancaster county once, and I barely remember it. So, I am a little nervous about the trip. Nobody wants to be the person who asks an over-the-line question. However, I think it was really important for us to raise questions that we weren't sure we could ask on the trip in class first. By asking those questions in class, all of us started to get the idea of what would be crossing the line. This piece helped me realize that with reporting, you can't always go right into something and ask whatever you want just because you're interested. I think there do need to be boundaries in journalism.

No comments: